- The thyroid gland is our chief organ for energy and metabolism. It is located in the neck below the Adam's apple. Hypothyroidism is an underactive thyroid which is not producing enough thyroid hormone. Hyperthyroidism relates to an overactive thyroid.
- More than 12% of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime. Women are 5-8 times more likely than men.
- Worldwide, iodine deficiency is the #1 cause of hypothyroidism. In America, #1 cause is when the body's immune system (auto-immune condition) is providing certain antibodies that over time attacks or destroys thyroid tissue.
- Symptoms of hypothyroidism include fatigue, memory or concentration problems, brain fog, coarse and thinning hair, dry skin or yellowish tint to the skin, brittle nails, constipation, cold skin/inability to tolerate cold and heavy or irregular menstrual periods that last longer than 5 to 7 days.
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) test is the #1 way to measure ones pituitary gland. TSH is a messenger to the thyroid glad. High TSH levels relates to hypothyroidism. Low TSH levels relate to hyperthyroidism.
- Levothyroxine is the #1 thyroid hormone replacement drug to treat hypothyroidism and is now the #1 drug prescribed in the U.S. (Synthroid is brand name). Liothyronine or Cytomel is another often used synthetic replacement. Natural desiccated thyroid drugs like "Nature-throid" and "Armour thyroid" are safe alternatives to the synthetics.
- Making dietary changes and adding nutritional support is the key to naturally treating hypothyroidism. The primary sources of natural iodine are sea vegetables like kelp and seafood. Secondary sources include eggs, asparagus, lima beans, mushrooms, spinach, sesame seeds, summer squash, swiss chard and garlic.
- Omega-3's, found in fish, grass-fed animal products, flaxseeds and walnuts are the building blocks for hormones that control immune function and cell growth. Critical to overall thyroid function.
- Recommended Supplemental Support Includes:
- Vitamin D3 (2,000 IUs daily)
- Fish Oil (with omega-3, EPA & DHA): 1,200 mg. twice daily
- High-dose probiotic daily (12 billion live cultures per capsule)
- High-quality daily multi-vitamin with minerals (ensure no deficiencies)
- Tumeric or Curcumin capsules (300 mg.) or mushroom tincture daily to reduce body inflammation
- Recommended Dietary Tips Include:
- Reduce daily intake of caffeine, sugar and refined carbohydrates like flour which the body treats like sugar
- Avoid gluten which can increase the body's autoimmune attack of the thyroid
- Increase your daily intake of protein (nuts, nut butter, eggs, sustainability-farmed fish and legumes)
- Increase natural fat to diet (olive oil, avocados, sugar-free yogurt, cottage cheese (not skim) and coconut milk products
Distributed by: Wellness Rx LLC.
10 Old Route 213, Suites A, B & C - High Falls, NY. 12440
5980 Main St., Tannersville, NY. 12485
All Rights Reserved